This soup is incredibly satisfying and versatile. It is wonderful when served at room temperature or heated up. Blending everything in a high power blender results in a silky smooth texture but If you don’t have a high powered blender, you could substitute a little nut milk for the cashews to achieve the same velvety creaminess.
Sometimes I find I need more lemon juice to balance out the acidity and sweetness.
- 6 medium fresh tomatoes, or about 2 cups roughly chopped
- 4 large red peppers, seeded, or about 2 cups roughly chopped
- 1 mini cucumber
- ½ ripe avocado
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- ¼ cup cashews, soaked at least 4 hours
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded, optional
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp. Celtic or pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water, or until desired consistency is achieved
Prepare vegetables and place everything except water in a high powered blender and blend, about 30 seconds or until ingredients start coming together. Add half the water, mix again, and then continue adding water until desired consistency is reached.
Yield: 4 servings
Photograph taken by Kim Jeffries. Food Stylist, Sasha Seymour.